Department Heads: Jeannie Dudding & Billy Farrier
Department A – Cattle
A-1 Beef Showmanship
A-2 Beef Cattle
Department B – Goats
B-1 Goat Showmanship
B-2 Dairy Goats
B-3 Meat Goats
B-4 Breeding Does
Department C - Sheep
C-1 Sheep Showmanship
C-2 Breeding Classes
C-3 Market Lambs
Special Note about Rabbits
Effective in 2023, there will be no Rabbits in the Livestock show. All Rabbits should be entered into the Pet show.
Please be sure to read the Livestock Show rules completely as a few things have changed.
- Open to youth under 19 years of age, including counties in West Virginia.
- All livestock must be haltered and broke to lead.
- Livestock must be on the fairgrounds by 3:30pm on Friday – please call 540-922-3539 if you will be later.
- Exhibitors will be responsible for their animals including care, feed, water, and showing.
- Classes with large numbers will be subdivided at the discretion of Show Management.
- Livestock must be removed by 2pm Saturday unless special permission is received by the livestock superintendent.
- The judge's decision is final. Show management reserve the right to add/cancel classes as needed.
- Animals do not need to be registered or purebred.
- All animals must be shown by the exhibitor in whose name they are entered unless the exhibitor has more than one animal in the same class. In such a case, another exhibitor may show the animal.
- Exhibitors will be responsible for their animals at all times. Exhibitors are expected to keep their animal under control at all times. The show committee may disqualify any animal that they deem to be wild and unmanageable.
- Any complaints must be presented in writing on the day of the show to Jeannie Dudding or Billy Farrier, and must be signed by the person(s) registering the complaint.
- Newport Fair, Giles FFA Chapter and/or Virginia Cooperative Extension (as well as any persons pertaining thereto) are not responsible for any injuries to exhibitors, animals, or spectators.
- THIS IS A DRY SHOW. Cattle, lambs, and goats are to be shown clean and dry. ABSOLUTELY NO WASHING ON SITE! Exhibitors are expected to care for their animals in an acceptable manner and adhere to market animal production quality assurance guidelines. Any pre-show administering of a compound not approved by the FDA that may cause a quantitative or qualitative change in the characteristics of the animal will cause immediate expulsion from the show and no premium money will be paid. The management has the right to disqualify any animal if their appearance or temperament has been changed or altered by any process. This includes attempts to dye, discolor the natural hair color, use of tranquilizers.
- Violation of any of these rules will result in disqualification, forfeiture of the premium, or both at the discretion of the show committee.
- Premiums will be awarded based on the number of entries at the beginning of the show.
- Any exceptions or changes to these rules or any topics not covered by these rules will be considered by the show committee members, and their decisions will be final.
- Show will continue, rain or shine, barring extreme weather conditions or events.
- Due to the FMD situation worldwide, the state veterinarian has suggested that all livestock shows require exhibitors/ family/friends and others in attendance, who have been overseas visiting countries with active cases of FMD within three weeks preceding the show to avoid contact with any livestock.
- All animals will be examined on-site. Any animal showing signs of contagious diseases or signs of poor health such as unhealthy nasal discharge, excessive coughing, or feverish animals will be eliminated from the show and confined to truck or trailer. Due to the contagious nature of "Club Lamb Fungus", "Wild Fungus", "Ring Worm", "Sore Mouth", "Foot Rot", and "Foot Scald" all animals will be inspected for signs or symptoms of the disease and others may be sprayed with anti-fungal solution prior to unloading. All decisions made by the examining party are final.
- All lamb and goat entries must carry a scrapie identification tag as part of the Scrapie Eradication program.
- We will add Little Showmen, and Non-owner showmanship classes as needed.
- There will be NO Poultry permitted on the fair grounds. NO Exceptions!
*** THERE WILL BE NO POT LUCK DINNER FOLLOWING THE SHOW ***
* Information coming soon!