CARMON SMITH MEMORIAL DRAFT HORSE PULL
Department Head: Leon Law
As Adopted by the Virginia Draft Horse Association, Inc. January 21, 1979:
- Pulling distance shall be (16.5) feet.
- Width of the pulling area shall be (20) feet.
- No more than (4) persons shall be allowed with each team.
- Drivers shall have the choice of either riding or walking. However, if walking, the driver must stay behind the doubletree.
- Drivers shall not be changed unless injury or sickness occurs. Changes are subject to approval by the judge.
- Three pulls shall be allowed for each weight.
- Drivers shall have three minutes to hook to the sled after being called to do so.
- Three succeeding attempts to hook to the sled shall constitute a pull.
- A pull shall be counted when the driver gives his horse the signal to pull.
- The team with the longest distance shall not return to pull until his distance is exceeded. At which time he shall return and pull immediately.
- If a tie occurs, the team with the second longest distance shall be placed above the others.
- Breakage of harness or equipment will constitute a pull with the distance being credited to the team. Five minutes shall be allowed for repair, with the team remaining in the pulling area.
- Hitching with cross tugs is prohibited.
- Teams may be tied together with check lines only.
- Bridles may be either open faced or with blinds. However, no change may be made after the contest starts.
- Mistreatment of animals will not be tolerated, team disqualification by the judge may occur for infraction.
- Any team too rank or excited that the judge feels may endanger other teams, drivers, or spectators, may be excused from the pulling area by the judge.
- Any team getting free from their handlers will be disqualified from the contest.
- Any team suspected of drug usage will be turned over to the Humane Society for disciplinary action.
- The judge’s decision will be final.
- All horses must have proof of a negative Coggins Test within (12) months.
- Only one (1) truck with horse trailer per team permitted to park on Fair Grounds (NO EXCEPTIONS).